Saturday, March 18, 2006

If I could do it again?

It is getting to that time of year again when it feels like school is coming to an end. I know there are still three months to go, but with MCAS testing, and schools looking at staffing needs for next year, well the end is in sight. This is the time of year I start looking over my successes and failures. What units went well, what topics seemed to drag on? Was there a unit I dreaded teaching and one I can’t wait to do again? It is time to take stock. If I could do it again, what would I change?

Every year I pick a unit, maybe two, that needs an over haul. I gather the material I have and then over the summer look for new ideas, information and activities to make it better. I begin at the root of the unit. What are the objectives, what does the student need to know, and why do they need to know it? At times I get so involved in coming up with the “wow factor” that I need to focus on the fundamentals. To be honest though some times you need the “wow factor” or even a diversion from the objectives to keep the kids engaged and focused. After all they are not in our classrooms because they want to be there, they are there because the law requires them to be. It is our job to make them feel welcome, and desire to learn what it is we have to teach them. This is not always an easy task.

I like to take the time each summer to focus on one unit, this way I hope to improve what I do each year. During the hustle of the school year it is hard to take stock and make a real change in my teaching. But the summer gives me the time to “do it right”, like I did as a student teacher when I would spend about 4 hours preparing for one 45 min lesson. I am not in the classroom this year, as I now support teachers in their endeavors, but it is still in my plan to focus on something to develop and improve. I think I need to take a look at all the new technology (bloggs, wikkis, Podcasts, Screencasts) and ideas out there and see how they can be used in a classroom, then try to boil it all down to the options that can be used by our teachers. Well, that maybe to big a goal as there is so much out there that I think I need to limit my quest. So much to learn, so much to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home