Thursday, February 16, 2006

The Changing Classroom

I have been a classroom science teacher for almost 20 years. When I began in the mid 80s the classroom learning experience was vastly different then today. Back at the beginning of my teaching career I though it was pretty cool how I could take different sheets of colored ditto masters and create colored diagrams for my kids. I could run an 8 mm projector, the slide strip machine, opaque projector and the VCR. I used a text book, dittos and photo copies of articles from actual paper journals.

I remember how excited I was when electronic grade books and report cards came to be. No more passing around the report cards among teachers, or the hand written narrative – if you saw my handwriting you would appreciate my need. I remember the joy I had when I turned in my chalkboard for a white board.

Now the learning environment is very different. It may still take place in a classroom but for many it is also extended outside the 4 walls. Just take communication for example, no longer is there just the game of phone tag between parents and teacher now we have e-mail. Teacher websites or services such as Edline allow for students and parents to see grades, news, and calendar items. Teachers can post assignments, grading rubrics, class notes, links to helpful websites, multimedia presentations. New words are entering our educational lexicon; podcast, videocast, photocast and screencast. Other web based services such as UnitedStreaming, Study Island and textbook publisher sites provide content and test prep to students both in and out of school.

All of this can increase the participation and accountability of the parents in their child’s education. Some say this is also increasing the work load on teachers and students, as there is a greater expectation to work outside the traditional school day. In fact all this new technology has even change the notion of a school day. Now you can complete a college degree without ever setting foot on campus. Online courses and elearning means the people have access to educational opportunities no matter where they live or what they do. Education is morphing into something new; I wonder what the next 20 years will bring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home